International systematic basic studies (ISBS) comprises an intensive yoga training, conducted by senior and advanced Iyengar Yoga teachers.
ISBS includes practicing and teaching subjects such as asana, pranayama, mindfulness/meditation, philosophy, anatomy, physiology, fascia, basic therapeutic aspects, MBYC (mindfulness based yoga coaching), health pedagogics/health education, mindfulness-based teaching.
ISBS is a systematic education and further development over a period of two years. Yoga practitioners as well as yoga teachers who want to deepen their theoretical understanding and practice, are welcome.
The basis is a two-year basic course of study (Basic Studies 1 and 2), which is devoted to the study and practice of yoga in the tradition of B.K.S. Iyengar and Geeta S. Iyengar in its entirety. These two years will build up a deepened practice and knowledge to enroll for the second part “Art of Teaching”.
The practical part includes the study with a mentor in the domicile country if possible at least one weekly Iyengar Yoga class of 90 minutes.
Admission to “Art of Teaching” requires the recommendation of two LOY lecturers in the subjects Asana and Pranayama as well as the successful completion of internal examinations in the subjects Anatomy, Physiology and Philosophy.
Assessment and confirmation
ISBS prepares students for the exam and certification by an Iyengar Yoga Association in the respective country.” ISBS educates / trains / cultivates the students in the tradition of B.K.S. Iyengar according to the new Pune guidelines (Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute, July 2020):
Level 1 (former Introductory 1 + 2)
Assessment through the respective IY associations
1st year: Basic Studies 1: Level 1, former Introductory 1
2nd year: Basic Studies 2: Level 1, former Introductory 2
3rd year: Art of Teaching
ISBS and Further Studies
ISBS includes further studies in the field of
- Philosophy & History of Yoga
- Pedagogy & Psychology
- Scientific-Medical Basics
- Yoga for healthy people
- Yoga Practice and Illness
- Basics of health promotion and prevention
These further studies enable our students to fulfill the requirements of holistic care. Evidence of these studies might in future be also required by national health insurance associations when it comes to the recognition of yoga teachers. It is our concern that the students are successful and have a profound knowledge as yoga teachers.
The modules complete with a Light-On-Yoga confirmation of participation.
If you have practiced yoga regularly for at least three years, you are welcome to join ISBS.
- You sign a contract with LOY on an annual base. This includes the participation in all Advanced Fridays, Philosophy, ISBS weekends (Saturdays & Sundays) as well as one Intensive Week (face-to-face) per year. Further advantages for students having signed a LOY contract:–30% discount on IOSS workshopsCosts Basic Studies 2:
200 hours (9x ISBS seminars, Intensive Week, Teacher’s Convention, seminars on fascia, anatomy, physiology etc.)
1.790 EUR, payable annually
- You can join the modules of the systematic basic studies according to your own interests. When registering for a seperate module, the respective fee is invoiced. If you like to use Advanced Fridays and ISBS Workshops in particular to further develop your own practice and skills than this is your choice. After having successfully participated in Basic Studies 1 and 2 you can apply for the second part “Art of Teaching”
Costs Basic Studies 1 and 2 per module: 119 EUR (Intensive Week separate)
BASIC STUDIES 1:
Start in April 2021, a total of 196 hours (261 units)
Main focus on about 60 asanas, pranayamas, philosophy, anatomy and physiology.
— 24 UE Philosophy: Historical overview, Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavadgita, Tantrism, Sanskrit basic terms
— 24 UE Anatomy and Physiology:
- General Anatomy: Cells, tissues, joints
- Specific anatomy of the musculoskeletal system – muscles and joints of the spine and abdomen
- Muscles of the shoulder girdle and shoulder joint
- Muscles of the upper arm and the muscle group s of the forearm
— 7 UE Mindfulness and Meditation
BASIC STUDIES 2:
Start in April 2022, a total of 200 hours (266 units)
Repetition of the asanas studied in Basic Studies 1
Ongoing Studies of the asanas and pranayamas focused in Basic Studies 1, extended and deepened by relevant asanas and pranayamas from advanced levels.
— 24 UE Philosophy: Patanjali Yoga Sutras, Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Biography of B.K.S. Iyengar and the philosophical approach of Iyengar Yoga, Sanskrit basic terms
— 24 UE Anatomy and Physiology:
- Specific anatomy of the musculoskeletal system: joints of the lower limbs: pelvis, hip, knee, ankle
- Anatomy and function of the muscles of the hip joint, thigh
- Anatomy and function of the muscles of the lower leg
- Abdominal organs and digestive system
- Organs of the thorax (heart and lungs), circulation and respiration
— 12 UE Practicing awareness and mindfulness, meditation
ART OF TEACHING:
Start in April 2023, a total of 200 hours (266 units)